This spicy and flavorful Spanish (or Mexican) Rice was a great side dish for the enchiladas that we enjoyed a few nights ago.
The rice turned out with a good amount of heat (completely optional) and the tomatoes balanced the dish well. Even my non-spice eater in the family ate two helpings of this rice.
I use 2 tablespoons of red chile powder in this recipe. My family enjoys a little heat with our Mexican food recipes. Feel free to reduce the amount slightly, if you prefer a little less heat.
I made burrito bowls with the leftover rice the following day and it was delicious that way as well.
Easy Spanish Rice Recipe
Spanish rice is a terrific side dish, but it’s also a great main dish with some taco beef tossed into the skillet. Course Side.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 8 servings
- 2 cups white rice
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped small
- 6 cloves garlic
- 28 ounces petite diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons red chile powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- kosher salt, adjust to taste
- Optional: fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- In a large skillet, brown rice in a pan over medium heat. Combine the rice and the chicken broth over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover with lid. Simmer for 18-20 minutes, just until done. Fluff the rice with a fork. To avoid creating a rice mush, DO NOT stir the rice.. Transfer to a separate dish and cover with lid to keep warm.
- Melt the butter in the hot skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent and slightly browned, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, toss to saute and cook about 30 seconds longer. Add the tomatoes and the spices and stir. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover with lid and reduce to simmer on medium low for 10 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice to the tomato mixture and stir well to combine thoroughly. Turn off heat and cover with lid to keep warm. If desired, garnish with cilantro just before serving. Enjoy!
Brown rice can also be used for this recipe, adjust cooking time as needed.
Calories: 240kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 591mg | Potassium: 480mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 741IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 3mg