Philly Cheese Sloppy Joes
We at Chef Me Not like the “Make A Meal With What You Have” philosophy. This is a modification of 2 crowd favorites. The easy and comforting philly cheese steak sloppy Joe is made in less than 30 minutes and instantly became a family favorite.
The flavor combination and melted cheese makes these sloppy joes appealing to the eyes before a bite is taken!
I don’t think I will ever go back to regular sloppy joes. These were amazing! I was not expecting these to be as good as they were. Maybe because sloppy joes are so simple and well, sloppy. My 9 year old ate them and loved them even with the onion and green pepper.
The flavor of these were so delicious and reminded me of a philly cheese steak. They were especially amazing with the cheese all melty on top. This is a great quick and easy meal that puts a fun twist on sloppy joes!
Sloppy joes are pure comfort! They bring back so many childhood memories and gave me that feel good feeling while enjoying it with my kids. I am all about making a good sloppy Joe and this one is topnotch.
My kids loved it which made it even better! It is a simple recipes and comes together quickly and effortlessly. These philly cheese steak sloppy joes are savory and delicious in every bite!
Philly Cheese Ingredients:
Each ingredient is carefully picked to make the best Philly cheese steak sloppy Joe. The Philly cheese steak is a moist and tender ground beef base. Add in vegetables and extra flavoring to the beef making this taste more like a philly cheese steak.
- Olive Oil: I used extra virgin olive oil to cook the ground beef in.
- Beef: Ground beef is best and cooks up separately in a skillet with the olive oil.
- Onion and Green Pepper: Chop up and add into the ground beef.
- Steak Sauce: Use one of your favorite steak sauces.
- Beef Broth: This adds flavoring as well as keeps the meat moist and juicy.
- Cornstarch: Thicken the sauce with ground beef.
- Water: Adds in extra moisture and create a thickener with the cornstarch.
- Hamburger Buns: I like them toasted in the oven before layering the sandwich.
- Provolone Cheese: Thinly sliced to melt over the cheese steak mixture.
- Salt and Pepper: To taste!
Let’s Make a Sloppy Joe!
- Brown the beef: In a large skillet heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and brown while breaking up in chunks with a spatula or spoon.
- Add vegetables: Add the chopped green pepper and onion cooking for about 3-4 minutes until they start to become tender. Drain all excess liquid.
- Bring to a boil: Add the beef broth and steak sauce and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue cooking until sauce is thick and bubbly.
- Toast hamburger buns: While this is cooking, Split the hamburger buns and butter each side. Place the buns side down onto a separate skillet until golden brown.
- Melt Cheese: Once the mixture has thickened, add the sliced cheese in an even layer on the top and let it melt.
- Create a sloppy Joe: To assemble, place the bun on the bottom. Spoon the meat and cheese mixture on top.
The Recipe Critic Pro Tip:
Place buns on a baking sheet and add in the oven for 3 to 4 minutes until they are slightly golden.
Tips to Make the Perfect Sloppy Joe:
I do love a good sloppy Joe and this Philly cheese steak sloppy Joe is one of my favorites! My kids love it and since it is so easy to make it is a keeper. This greek sloppy joes or Hawaiian sloppy joes are also a hit at our house. Sloppy joes just have that comforting appeal as well as a quick and easy dish that have pantry ingredients. Sloppy joes are one of our favorites and I have learned how to make the perfect sloppy Joe.
Here are some tips to help create the best sloppy Joe:
- Cooking Ground Beef: It is best to have your pan hot before adding the ground beef. This will help the ground beef cook evenly and thoroughly. I use a Staub cast iron pan to heat it up quickly. This will also help eliminate any excess water.
- Cheese: Use the thinly sliced provolone cheese for best results on melting and getting the most flavor for a philly cheese steak sloppy Joe. You can also use shredded cheese and melt it over top of the philly cheese steak mixture before adding it to the buns.
- Vegetables: Add in fresh mushrooms, canned tomatoes or shredded carrots to the onion and green pepper mix.
- Broth: I highly recommend sticking with beef broth for the added flavoring but if you are a chicken or vegetable stock lover these will work great too.
- Taco Seasoning: To add more flavor add in taco seasoning. I love the extra flavoring and you can even have it on hand with my recipe.
Once cooled, store the philly cheese steak mixture in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. Store for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator or 1 to 2 months in the freezer. This will reheat well in the microwave or in a skillet on medium heat. Add the mixture on a bun and you have another left over meal!
More Comforting Recipes to Try:
- Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwich
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Literally the BEST Chicken Noodle Soup
- 20 Minute Cheesy Beef and Shells
- Slow Cooker Swedish Meatball
Philly Cheese Sloppy Joes
This easy and comforting philly cheese steak sloppy Joe is made in less than 30 minutes and instantly became a family favorite. The flavor combination and melted cheese makes these sloppy joes irresistible! Course DinnerCuisine AmericanKeyword philly cheese steak sloppy joes, philly cheesesteak sloppy joes, sloppy joe recipes, sloppy joes Prep Time 10 minutesCook Time 15 minutesTotal Time 25 minutes Servings 4 SandwichesCalories 481kcalAuthor Alyssa Rivers
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 1 Green Pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup Steak Sauce
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- 4 slices Provoline Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- In a large skillet heat the extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat. Add the ground beef and brown while breaking up in chunks with a spatula or spoon.
- Add the chopped green pepper and onion cooking for about 3-4 minutes until they start to become tender. Drain all excess liquid.
- Add the beef broth and steak sauce and bring the mixture to a boil. Continue cooking until sauce is thick and bubbly.
- While this is cooking, Split the hamburger buns and butter each side. Place the buns side down onto a separate skillet until golden brown.
- Once the mixture has thickened, add the sliced cheese in an even layer on the top and let it melt.
- To assemble, place the bun on the bottom. Spoon the meat and cheese mixture on top.
481kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 760mg | Potassium: 531mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 154IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 4mg